EQUALITY AND ACCESSIBILITY OBJECTIVES
Equality and Accessibility Objectives 2019-2021
The Oldham Academy North is committed to providing an environment which values and includes all student, staff, parents and visitors regardless of their educational, physical, sensory, social, spiritual, emotional and cultural needs. We are committed to challenging attitudes about disability and accessibility and to developing a culture of awareness, tolerance and inclusion. The Academy is also committed to ensuring equality of opportunity in line with the Equality Act 2010. The Academy seeks to reduce discrimination and harassment of any member of the Academy and will not discriminate on any of the protected characteristics save where such discrimination is permitted by law.
Protected Characteristics include:
- Religion or belief
- Race – colour, ethnicity or national origin
- Gender or gender identity
- Sex or sexuality
- Marital or civil partnership status
- Pregnancy or maternity
Where it is practicable to make reasonable adjustments to enable a prospective student to take up a place at the Academy and to satisfy the current admissions criteria, the Academy is committed to providing those reasonable adjustments. In order to do this, the Academy will ask for the student to disclose whether they have received any learning support, have had an educational psychologist report or have any disability or other condition of which the Academy should be aware. Where a potential Student has an Education Health Care Plan, the Academy will work with the Local Authority to ensure that the identified provision is delivered in an appropriate manner. The Academy will be sensitive to any issues of confidentiality.
The Oldham Academy North will not tolerate direct or in-direct discrimination, harassment or victimisation.
As an Academy we have an accessible site and building with the following:
- Outside sports and grounds facilities that are fully accessible to all.
- Accessible toilets in each teaching space.
- Emergency evacuation system in place with the use of EVAC chairs.
- Non-visual guides on signage around the Academy.
- Clearly marked disabled parking bays in the car park.
To increase the extent to which all disabled students can participate in the Academy curriculum, we have:
- Provided a number of ‘bases’ and ‘safe spaces’ to use for lessons, interventions and during social times.
- Provided all staff with a bespoke ‘one-page-profile’ of students needs and disabilities.
- Detailed and bespoke access arrangements to allow students to access internal and external examinations and assessments without prejudice.
- Ongoing collation of transition information in relation to students need and disability about prospective Y7 students and mid-term admissions prior to starting dates.
|Equality objective||What this means for The Oldham Academy North|
|Provide positive non-stereotyping information about gender roles, family units and diverse groups.||
|Improve our knowledge and understanding of discriminatory behaviours within our organisation.||
|Equality of opportunity: prepare students for life in a diverse society in which students are able to see their place in the local, regional and national and international community.||
|Improve our experiences available to our students to ensure opportunities and access for all.||
We are committed to further improving the service and experience of students, staff, parents and visitors with Protected Characteristics through our Equality and Accessibility Objectives:
To be reviewed November 2021